Friday, December 25, 2009

The Begining


Well, this is something that I never thought I'd do but, after receiving numerous requests, I decided to give it a try. I've never been a consistent journal writer, to my shame. But, in a month I will be embarking on what could be the greatest and most difficult adventure of my life. On Thursday, December 10th I received an invitation from the Peace Corps to leave for the Republic of South Africa on Jan 28th 2010. The next day, after reading the required material to make sure I knew what I was getting into, I made the call and accepted the invitation. Joining the Peace Corps has been something I've wanted to do for a long time. It's been a difficult yet amazing journey to this point. I've loved the opportunity to work and live in DC and plan to return after my Peace Corps service.I've made alot of sacrifices in the last year to become debt free and am grateful to family, friends and co-workers who supported me and made this possible, whether they knew it or not. Most of all I'm grateful for all the blessings I've been given by a loving Heavenly Father who knows me so much better than I know myself. I'm so excited to begin this new phase of my life!

There is a group of about 35 volunteers that will all leave together from Washington, DC (convenient for me). Everyone in the group is assigned to CHOP (Community HIV/AIDS Outreach Program) and I'm sure many secondary community development projects.

We report to staging in Georgetown on Jan 27th and leave as a group to South Africa the next day.

4 comments:

  1. This is so exciting Tia! And I'm so glad you took the plunge and decided to start a blog. I'm eager to hear all about your adventures in South Africa and I hope you'll be able to add lots of pictures, too. Good luck and God bless! Keep the "journal entries" coming! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so glad you started a blog! We'll be in SA in June for a vacation from Saudi, keep us posted on where you're at! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had better update as often as you can, I am so excited for you and so excited for the adventure you are about to have. love you lots and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you keep this blog up-to-date... the adventures, struggles, successes, and life you will live will be worthy of writing about! Good luck & can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete