Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 8th, 2010

Hi everyone! I'm really trying to be better at updating you all more often. So I decided to take advantage of the two hour taxi ride to write you and hope I don't get car sick in the process.

It's been a whirlwind the last couple weeks and the next three are looking to be about the same. Training went ok. It was a little hard and somewhat (ok very) boring to sit through lectures for 8 hours a day after being free and active at site. A lot of the stuff they talked about was good info but it was stuff we already knew and it was geared for the supervisors. Joyce(my supervisor and the project manager) was unable to come because of health reasons so Clara (caregiver coordinator) came to the training with me. She seemed to enjoy herself and I got her to be a little
proactive and try to figure out some of the stuff on her own.

After classes every day I spent about 4 hours cutting hair for my fellow volunteers, most of whom were very shaggy since it has been about 4 month since I last saw them (read: since they last got a hair cut). Some insisted on paying me so I had a donations box and I used the money as start-up capital for the bake sale last week.

It was great to see everyone and it was nice to catch up and hear about everyone's unique situations. It really is so interesting how different our sites and situations are even just a few miles apart from each other. By the end of the week I was excited to return to my cozy, peaceful room in Rolle :)

No comments:

Post a Comment